The A-17 series attack aircraft was a direct descendent of the pace-setting Northrop Gamma, made famous by the aerial explorer Lincoln Ellsworth. It replaced the Curtiss A-8 and A-12 Shrike and was the last of the pre-World War II single-engine attack aircraft ordered into production by the Army Air Corps. In 1938 when the Army Air Corps determined that all future attack aircraft procured would be multi-engine models and remaining examples not sold to overseas customers were used as advanced trainers and squadron support aircraft, most ending up as ground maintenance trainers. Portland Army Air Base received one A-17 aircraft in 1941. This Northrop A-17A is on display at the National Museum of the United States Air Force in Dayton, Ohio, wearing the colors and markings of the 90th Attack Squadron, 3rd Attack Group, at Barksdale Field in June, 1938. (U.S. Air Force photo)
No camera details available.
This photograph is considered public domain and has been cleared for release.
If you would like to republish please give the photographer appropriate credit.
Further, any commercial or non-commercial use of this photograph or any other
DoD image must be made in compliance with guidance found at
which pertains to intellectual property restrictions (e.g., copyright and
trademark, including the use of official emblems, insignia, names and slogans), warnings
regarding use of images of identifiable personnel, appearance of endorsement, and related matters.