The Oregon Air National Guard began on 18 April 1941 with the activation of the 123rd Observation Squadron in Portland, Oregon. The squadron was initially equipped with two aircraft, the North American BC-1A (similar to the AT-6 trainer) and the Douglas O-46 observation aircraft before going on active duty in September of 1941.
On 11 August 1943 the 123rd was redesignated as the 35th Photographic Reconnaissance Squadron and subsequently deployed overseas for duty in the China-Burma-India (CBI) theater in the Lockheed F-5E, the photographic reconnaissance version of the famed P-38 Lightning fighter. On 24 May 1946 the squadron was redesignated as the 123rd Fighter Squadron and returned to Oregon.
On 15 July 1943 the 371st Fighter Group was activated in Richmond, Virginia and deployed to Northwestern Europe for combat in the European Theater of Operations (ETO) with the Republic P-47 Thunderbolt in 1944. On 24 May 1946 the group was redesignated as the 142nd Fighter Group and allotted to Oregon.
The following is a list of the Primary Aircraft Assigned to the 123rd Fighter Squadron and 142nd Fighter Wing, including the World War II years:
North American BC-1A (1941-1942 in the 123rd Observation Squadron)
Douglas O-46 (1941-1942 in the 123rd Observation Squadron)
North American O-47 (1941-1943 in the 123rd Observation Squadron)
Vultee O-49/L-1A Vigilant (1941-1943 in the 123rd Observation Squadron)
Republic P-47D Thunderbolt (1943-1945 in the 371st Fighter Group)
Lockheed F-5E Lighting (Photo recon version of P-38L, 1944-1945 in the 35th Photo Recon Squadron)
North American P-51D Mustang (1946-1953)
North American F-86A Sabre (1953-1955)
Lockheed F-94B (1955-1957)
Northrop F-89D/H/J Scorpion (1957-1966)
Convair F-102A Delta Dagger (1966-1971)
McDonnell F-101B Voodoo (1971-1981)
McDonnell Douglas F-4C Phantom II (1980-1989)
McDonnell Douglas/Boeing F-15A/C Eagle (1989-Present)